Saturday, February 23, 2008

We Love Lucy!!

Where do I begin...we are in complete awe of God and what He has done for us in this adoption journey. It would take up way too much space to tell all the details God has worked out for us. "Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare." Psalm 40:5.

We began this journey on March 15, 2007, when God first put the idea of adoption on my heart. I couldn't believe how it became a burning desire in my heart. I really prayed that if it was just another one of my crazy ideas that God would take it from me. But instead, it became all I could think about. When I first brought the subject up to Kelly & the boys, the boys were immediately all for the idea (I was shocked), and Kelly was a little more reserved. I knew this was not something I wanted to talk him into so I just let it go and really began praying that God would make it his heart's desire also. And that's exactly what happened. We began to talk about it more and more...and one Sunday shortly after I first brought up the idea, during church as Kelly saw me doodling girl names on our bulletin (Sorry Pastor Phil!), Kelly whispered in my ear, "let's do it"! I was overcome with joy.

Then the LLOONNGG paperchase began. Then finally we got our dossier ready & sent to China!! Our Log-in date was 9/20/07, which is when our "official" wait began. We thought for sure that we would have a healthy baby girl in no time (ok, well in about two years...ugh), then as other families waited their turn, the amount of referrals (babies matched with families) decreased more & more every month. Rumor was, that it would take us four or more years to get our child (unless something changed). God was so gracious to encourage me everytime I asked for it. I can't tell you how many "signs" I received to tell me this was the right thing for us. One being that we went camping in Colorado & it just so happened that we went at the exact time as a "reunion" of adopted Chinese girls & their families. I am not kidding, there had to have been at least 100 Chinese girls! WOW. Beautiful little Chinese faces everywhere.

The thought of the long wait (which we didn't at all know about in the beginning...I really think God shielded us from that) was very frustrating (and our wait had just begun). I REALLY cried out to God on this. I reminded Him (I know He doesn't need reminding of anything, but I reminded Him anyway!) that our boys are teenagers & they REALLY want to spend as much time as possible with their new sister before going off to college. One day as I sat reading my Bible, I felt God telling me to start praying that we would get our daughter before the Summer Olympics in Beijing. Ok...really? But that's just next summer...that's almost impossible..! "..I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there, and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20. Big mountain to move, but God is bigger & always faithful to His promises. I started praying it. My faith was small much of the time.

In the fall a list of Special Needs kids came out (different process from "healthy" children). We applied for a four year old girl (BEAUTIFUL!) who had 'cognitive delay'. We felt certain that this was our girl. I think about 18 other families applied for her. The process is that all who apply (only families whose applications were approved) are literally put into a hat & drawn randomly to view the child's file, then you decide if that child is right for you. Ok, well we didn't get her (faith shrinking to the size of a mustard seed). I was crushed. I cried & cried. But, I KNEW that she went to the family that God wanted her to go to. My head knew that, but my heart didn't. Or the other way around. All I knew was I was so sad. I pulled up my spiritual bootstraps & told God I really did trust Him to bring us the child He has planned for us in His timing (oh how I really hate His timing sometimes!)

Then on Jan. 9, 2008, a new list came out. Lots of beautiful children. One little beauty caught our eyes. C107 was her assigned number. Her "special need" was a very minor medical issue that had already been corrected. Ok, yes, we want her. Application filled out & sent. We also applied for another sweet girl who was 18 months old. Then, another list came out a day later....a lovely 10 year old girl stole our hearts. Ok, God...what's going on here? What in the world do you want us to do??? Kelly REALLY fell for this girl. Knowing she had been in an orphanage since birth really hurt his heart. He felt that we should apply for her. My mind & heart were completely unsure of everything at this point. We really asked ourselves why we were adopting in the first place. We knew it was to help a child in need of a home. Kelly told me to pray about it & decide what I wanted. Well, I knew it wasn't what I wanted, I wanted what God wanted. So, we applied for her. Since she was an older child, we knew for sure that we would get her. Not many people, if any, apply for the older children. I felt good about it & started immediately reading up on adopting an older child. This was a Saturday....come Monday morning we would know if we were chosen for any of these three beautiful little girls. First thing in the morning I got an email from the director of the China Dept. at Children's Hope. We didn't get the ten year old. WHAT?? But how can that be? I just KNEW we would get her. Kelly came home to console me...I cried a RIVER then another RIVER! What is going on God??? We then saw the list online of all the children and how many families applied for each child. The two year old, which we originally fell in love with had 148 applicants. NO WAY!! My hope was all but gone. Kelly had to go back to work. He prayed with me & left me alone at home. I can't tell you how my heart ached. Mostly because I really felt God had told me we would get one of these girls. Now, my faith was half a mustard seed. I got on my knees with head slumped low, tears dropping to the floor...heart surrendered & finally prayed & told God that I really did trust Him. I told Him that just saying I trusted Him was manipulating & worthless. I told Him I really did trust Him. That didn't come easy. In fact, it was only God's strength in me that made that possible. Then I decided to pull myself together & have some lunch (1:30ish). The phone rang. The caller ID read, 'Children's Hope'. What? The family of the ten year old changed their mind. We got her!! Nope. "Lori, are you sitting down?...you were chosen out of 148 applicants for the 2 year old!" WHAT!!!!??? I can't even remember what I said after that. I was completely awestruck. I hung up & said, "God, look what you have done!" (as if He didn't know!) Glory. I called Kelly...he was shocked & came back home. I called my friend Angela & said, "you won't believe this..." She said, "you got the two year old..." YES!! She said, "I was just now praying that you would".

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him." 1 Sam. 2: 27. Introducing, Lucy Joy...


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Oh Lori! I just read this for the first time and....oh my heart. God is SO good! Tears...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...