Tuesday, March 30, 2010

ceasar salad and best buddies

I really don't care for bottled salad dressing.
It's just too salty and corn syrupy.
But I've never dared to try making Ceasar because well,
it just seemed scary to me.

???

Well, I found a super easy recipe and
WOW, did it get rave reviews at my house.
But as good as it was,
I knew that it really needed a key traditional ingredient that the recipe
didn't call for....anchovies.

I put on my shopping list 'anchovy paste' but just couldn't find it
at Wal Mart, to save my life.
Surprising, I know, being that so many chefs shop there
for their culinary needs.
Right.

Anyway, I found it at World Market...$1.99 for a tube.
Score!!
*Doesn't tubed fish sound so yummy?*

I made the dressing again...only this time with the anchovies.
Then I made it again, and again....and again.

My boys,
are *in love* with this dressing.
And I do mean, IN.LOVE.
They both have eaten big Cesar salads every day since Sunday.
As a meal.

Brenden even posted about it on FB.

Isn't that hilarious?

Here's the recipe...
oh, and I suggest you double...or triple it.
Seriously.

1/3 Cup Mayo (yes, REAL mayo)
1/2 tsp. White wine vinegar (I used red)
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
(yes, I know, there are anchovies in W sauce)
1/2 tsp. Lemon juice
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/3 Cup Parmesan cheese
2 Tbl. Water
1 tsp. Anchovy paste (you simply must)

Mix it all together in a small blender-type thingy
and YUMMO...you will be addicted for life.

UPDATE:  I've made this recipe a DOZEN+ times and more often than not,
I don't have anchovy paste.
So please, don't shy away from it if you don't have it either!
It's DELICIOUS either way, trust me.


*~*~*~*~*~*~


The weather here has been G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S, gorgeous!
Lucy and Zeke are lovin' every single second of it.
They are BEST buds.
And it's absolutely no coincidence that I caught Zeke
adoringly glancing at her...he truly loves her
as much as she loves him.

Friends, it's precious.

Speaking of precious...have you ever?
Did I say in a previous post that this girl
is naughty?

I'm just not seein' it.




14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it.

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

Yes, that's true but it definitely needed CONCENTRATED anchovies.

Unknown said...

I love Caesar, but I just cannot wrap my mind around fish paste. Something just seems wrong with that. And your Lucy reminds me so much of my Madi - there is no way either one has an ounce of orneriness, right?

Marie-Claude said...

Well I'm in!

I will try it, it will be probably my 10th recipe for Ceasar salad but I'm always willing to try a new one. Being from the french speaking part of Canada , we love that kind of food. As far as anchovies, I try to use the real little cuty pie...but when I'm in a rush..mostly on week days, anchovy paste is a MUST in our kitchen. As I say to my kids, try it, you might be suprised.
Thanks Lori for the recipe! As for food in a tude...did you ever tried lemongrass (when you can't find it fresh) great for Chinese food.

Marie-Claude

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

Marie-Claude~
Oh dear, now you've got me worried! If you've tried ten other recipes...maybe this one isn't good either! I'll definitely look for some lemongrass. Sounds yummy! Thanks!

Karin said...

That last photo of Lucy is ADORABLE!! Oh my goodness....frame that one!! Might have to try the Caesar dressing. :)

Holly said...

Great! Got anymore salad dressing recipes? I would like to make my own but always think it's just easier to buy the bottle. Actually, I normally just splash some olive oil and vinegar (or lemon juice) on there and call it good. Love the pictures. I'm so happy for Lucy that she found a best friend! Love it. : )

Sally-Girl! said...

Thanks for the recipe! I bet it tastes great with that french bread I am addicted to now as well too!!!

Adeye said...

Oh my goodness, that last picture is absolutely STUNNING!!!!! Go buy a frame :)

Sending you big loves from the Ukraine, friend.

A Gardner's Cottage said...

I LOVE a good ceasar salad so I will give this a try. Lucy and Zeke are to cute for words!

Chris said...

Hmmm anchovy paste? well maybe. Bit of a stretch for this PA Dutch girl.But this week we ate home made Phu (Vietnamese Noodles)so I AM adventurous, but fish in my salad...

I'm the ranch dressing type...got any recipes that taste like Kraft Ranch dressing....I know takes all the value out of the salad

Jean said...

I NEVER have heard you say that Lucy was naughty- Never! She looks like a little angel in those pics and so does her partner in crime, I mean best buddy Zeke!

Again... if only I liked to c___k! But it sounds delicious!

Leah said...

Eeewwwww. Fish in a tube! There has got to be something wrong with that. But on the other hand, I love Ceasar salad, so I may have to try it. You so have to frame that last shot of Lucy. So stinkin' cute!

Debby said...

YUMMM...We love Ceasar salad in this house, so I will be trying your recipe for sure!!!

Cute pics of Lucy & Zeke. Some of her exp[ressions are identical to Jami's...lol....AND, coincidentally, Jami is never naughty either..(grins)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...